USAT CORP Environmental Statement
Shared on May 08, 2008 written by USAT CORP
Our company is composed of emplopyees that are very concerned about perserving the earth for our children's children. Becuase of our stewardship responsibilities as good world citizens, we have committed to finding innovative and effecitive ways to conserve, recycle and mitigate our impace on the planet. At USAT we have in place, or are pursuing corporate programs that:
- Conserve water, paper, and fossil fuels
- Recycle and re-purpose bent metal and older computers and communications technologies
- Mitigate our usage of fossil fuels by encouraging alternate forms of transportation and heating/cooling our office space
- Paperless Office Initiative: In 2006, USAT transformed into a paperless office. This initiative provided guidelines to phasing out paper usage at USAT wherever plausible. Our Accounting Department is mandated to request paperless invoicing via EFT with our clients, and to use digital forms internally. In addition, USAT provides quotes to clients digitally, using Adobe Acrobat forms. Marketing materials are also mandated to be digital, instead of paper, whenever possible.
- Preference for Diesel Fueled Vehicles. USAT has standardized our truck purchases on the Mercedes Turbo-Diesel Sprinter. This decision was made purely on gas mileage metrics, in order to make sure that our company was doing its part to conserve fossil fuels.
- Low Flow Toilet Plan. USAT is in the process of replacing our toilets in our corporate headquarters with modern, "low-flow" toilets to reduce water usage by 40%.
- Incandescent Lighting Switch-out. In 2008, USAT replaced all recessed incandescent lighting in our headquarters with compact florescent fixtures.
Equipment Recycling. Many times, USAT is tasked with updating older field computing systems with new products that our clients purchase from us. We are committed to keeping old technology from the land-fill. For minimal fees, USAT will remove from our clients' premises and recycle old vehicle computing technology, and bent metal technology mounts. We carefully scrub all hard drives to comply with our clients' privacy concerns.
- BUB Hub Plans. USAT's corporate headquarters are located in Chapel Hill, NC, a town that is very forward-thinking. Chapel Hill's Blue Urban Bikes (BUB) Hub initiative provides bicycles to its citizens free of cost, in order to encourage people to ride bikes instead of driving in cars. The way the program works is that the bikes are left at various high-traffic hubs and you ride the bike anywhere you want but are morally obligated to drop it off at a Hub once you are done with it. USAT Corp. has applied to be a BUB Hub, and will soon administrate a BUB Hub spoke out of our Corporate Office.
- Heat/Cooling Initiative. USAT's corporate server room emits so much heat that air-conditioners are required to keep the room cool, even during cold winter months. In order to mitigate the waste of this heat, USAT has designed a duct and fan system that removes the heat from the server room during the winter time and funnels it out to the offices nearby. This effort to capture the heat created by the servers saves on energy bills and helps USAT reduce fossil fuel usage. During warmer months, we now use ducting to funnel the heat from the servers out of the cooled office space, which keeps the room 10 degrees cooler, reducing the amount of time per day the Air Conditioning system must run.
Keywords: Environmental Statement
USAT CORP Environmental Statement Comment Feeds