If you are unsure what Model or Series CradlePoint router you have, please click here.
This article was written based upon the 4.1.1 firmware version.
CradlePoint’s Series 3 routers support modem connections to Sprint’s private Data Link network, rather than connecting to the Internet. These directions will walk you through configuring the CradlePoint to connect to your private Sprint Data Link network. NOTE: When using the Sprint Plug-in-Connect Tri-Mode USB (Franklin U770) modem, all Data Link settings must be configured in the modem’s GUI, not in CradlePoint’s GUI. Please consult Sprint for the appropriate configuration of this modem.
To configure the router, you will need to make sure that you have this account information from Sprint:
- The “Network Access Identifier” (NAI)
- The “AAA Password”
- The “AAA Shared Secret”
- The “Primary Home Agent” address (Primary HA)
- The “Secondary Home Agent” address (Secondary HA)
Before starting, you will also need to make sure that both the CradlePoint router’s firmware is up-to-date, as well as the modem’s firmware. Instructions to update the router’s firmware can be found here. The modem’s firmware can be updated by placing the modem into a computer with the SprintView software, then checking for any available PRL or FUMO updates and installing them.
After you have verified that the modem and router have been updated to the newest firmware versions, follow these directions to configure the router with your Sprint Data Link settings:
- Log into the routers administration page (login instructions).
- Go to Internet -> Connection Manager
- Under WAN Interfaces, highlight the 3G Sprint modem and click Edit
- On the WAN Configuration page, click on the CDMA Settings tab.
- On the CDMA Settings tab, place a check mark next to Persist Settings, then change the Active Profile to “0.” Next, enter your NAI, AAA password, AAA shared secret, and primary and secondary home agents. For the “AAA SPI” and “HA SPI” enter “1234” without the quotes.
- Click Submit to save the settings.
- Log into the router’s administration page.
- Go to Internet>Connection Manager.
- Under WAN Interfaces, highlight the WiMAX Sprint modem and click Edit.
- In the WAN Configuration window, click WiMAX Settings.
- On the WiMAX Setting tab, enter your realm, TTLS Authenication Mode, TTLS Username, TTLS Password and Verify. The WiMAX Authentication Identity may not be provided or needed.
- Click Submit.
After making this change, the router will now be configured to connect to your Sprint private Data Link network instead of to the Internet.