f you are unsure of your CradlePoint Series or Model number, please click here.This article was written based on firmware version 5.0.0.
Symptom:“NAT Type Strict” or similar message on a Gaming Console (Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii, etc.)Cause:Network Address Translation (NAT) is the service that allows multiple devices connected behind a Modem that obtains a Public IP Address. The way this Translation is configured can, at times, cause the “Strict NAT” messages to be generated on the Gaming Console.Resolution:
- Log into the router’s setup pages. (If you are unsure how, please click here.)
- Click on the Network Settings tab and select DHCP Server.
- Note: You will be presented with a list of all devices currently obtaining IP addressing from your CradlePoint router, including your gaming Console. This can be verified by looking at the Hardware Address column in the router’s setup pages (as pictured) and comparing it to the MAC or Hardware Address of the gaming Console. The gaming Console’s MAC address information should be found in the Consoles Network Settings.
- After the MAC address has been verified select the entry and press the reserve button. Make note of the IP Address listed for the gaming Console.
- Select the Network Settings tab then Firewall.
- Scroll down and open up the Advanced Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) section.
- Check the Enabled box and then put in the IP address noted in step 2.
- Press the Submit button to apply the changes.
After submitting these settings your gaming Console will be outside of the CradlePoint router’s Firewall which resolves any NAT issues on the gaming Console. If you continue you to receive the “Strict NAT” messages generated on the Gaming Consoles it is likely that your internet carrier has a firewall in use on your connection. However, the issue no longer resides in the router and you will need to contact your ISP.