If you are unsure of your CradlePoint Series or Model number, please click here.
This article was written base on firmware version 5.0.0.
VPN tunnels are used to establish a secure connection to a remote network over a public network. This configuration covers an IPSec VPN tunnel setup between a CradlePoint Series 3 router and a Sonicwall TZ210 firewall. Figure 1 shows the network topology example of this particular configuration. IPSec is customizable on both the CradlePoint and Sonicwall platforms to fit into a variety of network and security requirements however, this configuration example will address only the basic configuration.
The CradlePoint router model used for this example is the MBR1400 running firmware version 3.5.0 (02-27-2012).
The configuration described in this document applies to the following CradlePoint routers:
- COR IBR600
- COR IBR650
The Sonicwall device used for this configuration is the TZ 210 Network Security Appliance running firmware version SonicOS Enhanced 22.214.171.124-5o.
- Log into the setup pages of the CradlePoint router. (if you are unsure how, please click here.)
- Navigate to the Internet > VPN Tunnels page. Enable the VPN service if it hasn’t been already. Click Add to begin tunnel configuration.
- Configure the tunnel to the specifications required. Below is a screen by screen example of a base configuration that is known to work with most Sonicwall firewalls and routers.
- Confirm the configuration on the Tunnel Summary prompt and select Yes.
- Log into the Sonicwall management interface as admin.
- In this example, an “Address Object” had already been created called Remote_VPN_Test, which placed the network 192.168.0.0 in the LAN zone,. These can be created under Network > Address Objects.
- Navigate to VPN > Settings. Under VPN Policies, select Add to begin configuring the IPSec Policy. Below is a screen by screen example of a base configuration which matches that of the CradlePoint.
- Once the policy is configured in the Soniwall confirm that the tunnel is up and established.
- Confirm that the tunnel is up and established on the CradlePoint router.
- We can also verify traffic is routing properly in the management interface of the CradlePoint. Navigate to System Settings > System Control, expand the Advanced Control panel, and run a ping test to the LAN interface of the Sonicwall, or a connected client device.